At Tisserand Aromatherapy we have been helping people get a peaceful night’s sleep with our expertly blended aromatherapy products, for over 40 years. Designed to take the fuss out of aromatherapy, our Sleep Better blend is bursting with 100% natural pure essential oil to help you switch off, drift off and recharge. To complement our Sleep Better routine we asked Sarah Eckersley, our Wellbeing Collective yoga expert, to share her bedtime ritual for a naturally peaceful night’s sleep.
Step 1: Take a bath
A bath before bed accelerates a natural drop in body temperature as a signal to us to fall asleep. Light a Sleep Better Candle to set the tone, then infuse warm bath water with Sleep Better Bath Oil and wash away the pressures of the day.
Step 2: Take a deep breath
During periods of anxiety our breathing is often shallow which increases feelings of anxiety. However, by consciously focusing on our breathing and deepening each breath we’re able to create a greater sense of calm, relaxing the body and stabilising our mood.
- Ideally you would do this breathing practice lying down, however this exercise could be done in a work place or whilst enjoying your bedtime bath.
- Close your eyes and place both hand onto the belly taking a few moments to observe your natural breathing.
- Once settled, bring your attention to each inhale and focus on drawing it all the way down into the belly, feeling the belly rise with the hands as you do so. On each exhale, you will feel the hand lower as the belly sinks.
- As the sense of anxiety slowly reduces you can deepen each cycle of breath, taking you into a much more relaxed state until you feel ready to stop Pranayama and return to your day.
Step 3: Deep sleep massage
Cocoon your skin and calm the mind with sumptuous oils rich in vitamins and antioxidants. Easily absorbed, Sleep Better Massage & Body Oil leaves skin silky soft whilst providing a fast-track formula for deep relaxation.
Step: 4: Stretch and unwind – Standing Forward Fold
This simple but effective yoga pose helps to calm the mind helping ease you into a sleepy state.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart and slowly bend forward from the hips so that the head relaxes towards the legs.
- Let the neck and head fully relax as you catch opposite elbows with the hands.
- The legs can be straight or you can bring a small bend to the knees depending on what is most comfortable for you. Hold for five to ten breaths or for as long as feels good/necessary.
Step 5: Sleep is in the air
Make your bedroom a sanctuary, switch off all digital devices and fill the air with the of sleep-inducing aromas of Sleep Better Pillow Mist.
Step 6: Be a sleep superhero – Reclining Hero Pose
A beautiful heart opener, this yoga pose will help release tension across the chest and allow you to relax the body in a way that you feel fully supported.
- Separate your ankles and sit on your shins, placing a bolster or thick rolled up blanket behind you.
- Lower the body over the blanket or bolster so your chest is open towards the ceiling.
- Let the arms rest at your sides and deepen the breath to help relax the mind and the muscles.
- Hold for up to five minutes to really let go and come into a deep sense of relaxation.
Step 7: Sleep EaZZZy
Once in bed, gently apply Sleep Better Roller Ball onto your pulse points and take three deep breaths before turning off the lights. Keep by your bedside for moments of restlessness during the night. I hope my bedtime ritual helps you have a naturally peaceful night’s sleep too.
About Sarah Eckersley