Our Ultimate Sleep Ritual for a naturally peaceful night’s sleep
Here at Tisserand Aromatherapy we have been helping people bag a full night’s snooze with our 100% natural pure essential oils and aromatherapy products, for over 40 years. Designed to take the fuss out of aromatherapy, our Sweet Dreams Collection is packed with easy-to-use products suitable for everyone needing a helping-hand to drift-off at night whether at home or on-the-go.
With the introduction of our new panel of experts – The Wellbeing Collective – in 2017, we are now even more invested in helping our followers beat bedtime stress, by offering the very best advice and information on the big snooze.
Here, Sarah Eckersley, the face behind London’s popular Wilde Yoga and Tisserand Aromatherapy’s Wellbeing Collective yoga expert, brings you the ultimate bedtime ritual to help induce a state of blissful relaxation…
Ritual #1 – Take a bath
A bath before bed accelerates a natural drop in body temperature as a signal to us to fall asleep. Infuse warm water with Tisserand Aromatherapy Sweet Dreams Bath Oil and wash away the pressures of the day.
Ritual #2 – Take a deep breath
During periods of anxiety our breathing is often shallow increasing the feeling of anxiety. However, by consciously focusing on our breathing and deepening each breath we’re able to create a greater sense of calm, relaxing the body and stabilising our mood.
- Ideally you would do this breathing practice lying down, however this exercise could be done in a work place or whilst enjoying your bedtime bath.
- Close your eyes and place both hand onto the belly taking a few moments to observe your natural breathing.
- Once settled, bring your attention to each inhale and focus on drawing it all the way down into the belly, feeling the belly rise with the hands as you do so. On each exhale, you will feel the hand lower as the belly sinks.
- As the sense of anxiety slowly reduces you can deepen each cycle of breath, taking you into a much more relaxed state until you feel ready to stop Pranayama and return to your day.
Ritual #3 – Deep sleep massage
Cocoon your skin and calm the mind with sumptuous oils rich in vitamins and antioxidants. Easily absorbed, Sweet Dreams Body Oil, leaves skin silky soft whilst providing a fast-track formula for deep relaxation.
Ritual #4 – Stretch and unwind – Standing Forward Fold
This simple but effective yoga pose helps to calm the mind helping ease you into a sleepy state.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart and slowly bend forward from the hips so that the head relaxes towards the legs.
- Let the neck and head fully relax as you catch opposite elbows with the hands.
- The legs can be straight or you can bring a small bend to the knees depending on what is most comfortable for you. Hold for five to ten breaths or for as long as feels good/necessary.
Ritual #5 – Sleep is in the air
Make your bedroom a sanctuary, clearing it of all tech and filling it with sleep-inducing aromas with a spritz of Sweet Dreams Pillow Mist on your linen.
Ritual #6 – Be a sleep superhero – Reclining Hero Pose
A beautiful heart opener, this yoga pose will help release tension across the chest and allow you to relax the body in a way that you feel fully supported.
- Separate your ankles and sit on your shins, placing a bolster or thick rolled up blanket behind you.
- Lower the body over the blanket or bolster so your chest is open towards the ceiling.
- Let the arms rest at your sides and deepen the breath to help relax the mind and the muscles.
- Hold for up to five minutes to really let go and come into a deep sense of relaxation.
Ritual #7 – Sleep EaZZZy
Once in bed, gently apply Sweet Dreams Roller Ball onto your pulse points and take three deep breaths before turning off the lights. Keep by your bedside for moments of restlessness during the night.
We are delighted to be supporting The UK Sleep Council with their Sleeptember campaign and to celebrate, you can benefit from 25% off our full Sweet Dreams Collection until the end of Sept 17. Click here to see more.