The moon, or Lunar phases, happen daily and every year. Astronomers have named and created the cycle of the moon into four prime Moon phases: New Moon, First Quarter, Full Moon, and Last Quarter. New and Full moons are often the phases most talked about. There are also four secondary phases: Waxing Crescent, Waxing Gibbous, Waning Gibbous, and Waning Crescent. As the Moon orbits around Earth and Earth orbits around the Sun, the angle between the Sun, Moon, and Earth changes. This means the amount of sunlight that reflects off the Moon changes every day, so what you see is that particular phase in the night sky.
Nature’s connection to the lunar phases
For thousands of years, many things have been working with the lunar phases. From agriculture and harvesting to the sea, water and tides, and even female menstrual cycles. Traditionally, and more on a spiritual connection, the moon is linked to feminine energy, dreams, psychic abilities, and magic.
It is clear that the earth and moon have a very strong relationship. Therefore as cyclical beings on the earth, we too have a deep connection with the moon.
Working with the lunar phases can advance us in the best possible ways. Exploring the ebb and flow of nature’s cycles.
Aromatherapy can work in complete harmony with the lunar phases as well. As essential oils are derived from plants, and plants are formed largely of water, it can be implied that the moon works to affect the life cycle of plants too. So, working with the plants through aromatherapy, providing the therapeutic support we may need at each phase, is a beautiful way to connect with the moon and your essential oils.
Phases and Oils
Here I discuss each phase and some essential oil and blend suggestions that could be helpful at that time.
- New Moon – This phase is often linked to setting new intentions, new beginnings, and what and where do you want to be within your life? This is the time to think about it but also start to take the action. On a new moon, I love to blend Clary Sage, Lemon and Lavender. This blend brings clarity, connection to your inner self, peace and calm but also a fresh uplifting feeling, which is just what you need to set your intentions.
- Waxing Crescent – A time to reflect on what you called in on the new moon – does your plan need more detail and have you got the energy? Bergamot is a brilliant oil for this time, it is uplifting and balancing.
- First Quarter/ Waxing Moon – This time is about really getting things going. Take action on the intentions you set at the New Moon. The essential oil for this time that really helps with that focus and determination can be Rosemary. It stimulates the mind and aids concentration.
- Waxing Gibbous – As the moon is now almost full, the energy can begin to feel quite powerful. Therefore it’s key to stay motivated and remind yourself of all the positive steps you have made towards your intention. I love working with Rose Absolute at this phase. It is nurturing yet elevating and can relieve overwhelming feelings if you start to feel these creep in.
- Full Moon – Often described as the most powerful moon as it creates heightened emotions and intensity. However, it is a brilliant time to use this energy to reflect and let go of thoughts, habits or emotions that are not serving you. I love blends or essential oils at this time that are grounding, uplifting and offer stillness, like Frankincense, Cedarwood and Orange.
- Waning Gibbous – This is the reset after the powerful full moon, time to slow down and relax. This is about getting back into your flow. The oil of choice is Geranium; restorative, supportive and balancing. It is all you will need at this time.
- Third Quarter – Here we often need cleansing and balance. Looking to achieve is a part of a positive transition, just look at where you’re spending your energy and time. Juniper Berry is pungent yet cleansing so can help us connect with these transitional times and feelings.
- Waning Crescent – It is decluttering time, this might be the mind or your physical world. This can be a good tidy-up, catching up on admin, or sitting with yourself and your thoughts. Feel into anything that comes up. Peppermint is fresh and clear, it can help with brain fog but also give you that awake feeling and mental clarity to get focused on the tidy-up approach.
Written by Aromatherapist Simone Stevens @sensesbysim